Saturday, July 18, 2015

A lesson on irony.....

First, before we talk about the lesson, let us take a look at what the definition of irony says, shall we??      

 

i·ro·ny1

            ˈīrənē/

                 noun

 

  • a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

     

    Thank you Google.com!

    Now, on with the story.....

    In May, both Emme and Leyton had to do Science Fair projects.  Now, let me back up a little bit to tell you how much I HATED SCIENCE FAIR PROJECTS when I was in school.  I am sure my mother could tell you about how I waited till the night before to tell her I needed an experiment.  And in that day and age-- not quite back as far as the dinosaurs, but before the internet existed--yes, children I know, I am THAT old you couldn't just look up an idea.  You had to look in a book--an encyclopedia, or a science experiment book--or like me, you just made up anything!

    So, during those tormentuous (yes, I made that word up) years or Science Fair days, I was so happy when I was graduated and it was never forced on my again!

    UNTIL I HAD MY OWN KIDS......

    AND WE LIVED IN COSTA RICA......

    WHERE THEY REQUIRE EVERY CHILD TO DO ONE EVERY YEAR OF SCHOOL.....

    Oh, this is where the lesson in irony begins....

    When Emme told me that she had to do a Science Fair Project, all of the emotions, pain, hate, anger, and bitterness of my own Science Fair days came flooding back.  But it was even worse...
    It was all in MY second language......

    OH.THE.HORROR......

    Trying to figure out what all the words were, how to lay it out....that would be acceptable in Costa Rican school terms.....

    I seriously wanted to cry....
     
    Last year, Emme did a Science Fair Project with her guinea pig.  Of course, like her mother, she waited to the night before to tell me that she had to present the experiment....A maze.  So we made a maze and tested her hypothesis all in a matter of hours--Ooooo, true science!





    This year I vowed that we would do better.  This year she decided to do more of a research project about the Toucans that live in Costa Rica and how they are losing their habitat.  She did almost all of the research in class, except for the few things she had to research--4 pages HAND.WRITTEN of research--a whole TWO days before it was due....Oh, she is such MY child!!

    But we got it done!  She told me she had to do a poster board to show her research.  I asked her when it was due, she told me tomorrow.  So we went to the store and bought a poster board, printed some pictures, slapped on some glue and off she went.

    At the end of the day, she told me, "Oh, today wasn't the day to present the Science Fair, but since I had everything, my teacher let me.  So now when the rest of the kids have to do it, I don't have to!"  Whew! Done.

    A couple days later, Leyton's teacher sends home a note (Thursday) saying that he has to present a Science Fair Project the following Tuesday.....

    OH.THE.IRONY.....

    We luckily had a team here who shouted out several ideas--we decided on a topic, did the experiment and wrote up a poster board.  Luckily with his, he didn't have to write all the parts of the experiment (methodology, hypothesis, etc.)--I mean he is in KINDERGARTEN!!! UGH!

Super proud of him though! Not only did he have to understand the experiment, which we talked about in English, he also had to know it in Spanish.  He explained to several people the experiment in Spanish in a very clear, concise manner! And, he was super excited to present it and share it with his friends.

WHOO.HOO!!!  Science Fair Projects 2015 DONE!!!!!

Not quite.......

OH.THE.IRONY.....

both of my kids won the Science Fair.....I seriously didn't know what to think or do--the emotions of happiness, pride, anger--LOATHING....

Not only did they win, but we had to REDO the poster boards to make them official.....







This was the judging at the School level.  IF they won, they would go to Tres Rios district level--

OH.MY.LORD.PLEASE.NO

Thankfully, God was faithful and they did not win......

But hey, if this wasn't a lesson in irony, I don't know what is!

Until next year--and the next 11 years--Science Fair Projects!!!  

CURSE YOU!!!!!!!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment