Monday, March 30, 2015

First Dental Team of 2015

So last year we started partnering with Costa Rica Dental Missions and the Scheduling Institute to welcome dental groups to our Multi-purpose building at the Abraham Project.  Last year, they had an interpreter that worked with all of the teams; however, he moved back to his hometown of the Cayman Islands.  So, it was proposed that myself and Steve Jr. would help interpret for the dental teams.  To say that I was nervous was an understatement! I know practically nothing about dental terms in Spanish OR English!!!  Although I had experience interpreting back when we lived in the States, interpreting Spanish--let alone 2 spoken languages--was not in my comfort zone!

However, we welcomed a great dentist and 2 assistants from Canada.  I couldn't have asked for a better, nicer or more easy going group!  Dr. Yazdani, Camille and Alyssa.

The team checking out Rio Azul on their last day
I am so thankful for the opportunity to interpret again.  Although it is a lot different from interpreting between English and ASL, I know that it is something that I miss terribly.  Hopefully this can fill the small hole in my heart....but never can fill it completely!

Here is a look at the dental clinic that week!

The whole team!

Learning the ropes

Interpreting for the first patient




It's not always just work in the dental clinic!




Getting to try some pipas! YUM!




The normal...."Where is everything dance"

Although Camille looks amused, the patient did not!




So thankful for Dr. Melania (middle). She is an awesome dentist, teacher and friend!

This was Camille's normal spot


Camille actually got to do some new stuff!

Even the dentists work and clean in our clinics!


Cutting the pipas, thanks Bruce!





And eating the inside....YUM!


Even had time to practice some Spanish!
Like I said earlier, I was so grateful that this team was my first experience interpreting.  They were so patient and flexible and I couldn't have gotten very far without Dr. Melania! 

Well, I guess add this to my list of work experiences...hopefully the next time will be better!

I have started volunteering/assisting Dr. Melania on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays in the dental clinic when we don't have teams.  I am trying to learn as much as possible so I am better prepared when dental teams are here!  Pray for me!

Blessings,

the crawfords

No comments:

Post a Comment